Wednesday 25 June 2008

Soho Square Tea

Today was really different from last time that I had tea. I only had time for two people - which didn't matter to me. Even one person in a day is a bonus... "please don't let me keep you" was the phrase of the day - even though I had invited them to have tea with me.!!

Been on my own and not sat with another person was the key I think,  (Stevie sat with me last time). Sally was sat in the park though taking the pictures and watching me. I was really grateful as there were a lot of strange people out and about today. It was good to know that I had help if I needed it (thank you Sally). Have decided not to do this alone. Both people sat with me for an hour each and had a really good chat. I am totally exhausted!


If I tell you something about me, I was wondering whether you could tell me something about you in return. I'm a theatre practitioner and am gathering material to help me write my show for my MA... I have a three year old son. He has only just met his dad. His dad has been away travelling but recently came back into our lives. My son was a bit cautious at first, but as soon as his dad produced toys and sweets he was practically his best friend - you'd think he'd never not been there:

He took off his glasses and looked me in the eyes; in one instant I tried to understand what it meant to have his four year old daughter taken away from him. To have an ex that can make your life hell, to be homeless and have to live in a hostel, and to loose your job - all in one year. A dad that has had five wives and tells him he is nothing more than a chip off the old block... still you have to stay positive don't you. My neighbours don't say hi to me in the hostel. Just saying good morning to someone helps lift my spirits for the day doesn't it!? - people in London aren't so friendly... I have the same name as his mum but the Portuguese equivalent. He was so taken with this that half an hour later he came back to find me with some documents of his mother's just to prove it to me. 

Does your son live with you then... ... ... Yeah

There was no way I could re tell this story as if it were my own to the next person that sat with me. I decided to go back to a good honest chat and come back to the whole embodying someone's story idea later.


Translator, blues musician, and just wanted to make me laugh. I now have an array of jokes that I should 'use in my show' - as well as plenty of dating tips, apparently it was the Egyptians who were the expert in courtship and there are 5 rules that you should follow if you want to win a woman over! He was really open with me. We compared relationships, how to take tea (I have been given a new tip on making that apparently is better than drinking Red Bull! apparently mine is too weak), families, our views on the art of conversation, and why it is so important that people laugh.

Tea participant number two also gave me a gift to try out (incase you can't tell from the picture it is one of those chewing gum packets that when you pull the gum a mouse trap thing snaps your finger - but this one has a rubber cockroach on it) haha I love it - I was really touched that he wanted me to take something away... as well as the rest of his jokes!


Again though, the theme of the day was relationships. The strangest this was that I didn't direct the conversation, and it was a topic that they wanted to talk about very openly. Sex, affairs, heartbreak, warts and all. 

I think that it is because when talking to a perfect stranger what else do you have in common? The fact that we all connect with someone... is that an incredibly cheesy thing to say and focus on?

2 comments:

Rich said...

hey Laura - I came across this book and it made me think of your work (the picture and the title mainly!) here is a link on amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Conversation-Pieces-Community-Communication-Modern/dp/0520238397/ref=pd_rhf_f_i_cs_1

Book is called:
Conversation Pieces: Community and Communication in Modern Art by GH Kester

Best of luck with it!

Rich

Laura Bean said...

Hey Rich,

How is everything going?

Thanks for the book recommendation - I have actually been reading an essay by Kester on Conversational Pieces and found it really helpful so will check out the book.

Laura