Wednesday 11 June 2008

A reflection


Throwing some caution to the wind I sat in a park requesting perfect strangers to sit and have tea and a chat with me. 
Thank god I brought the biscuits.
I worried the whole way there that it was too hot. That I was serving tea out of plastic beakers, not because I was being conscientious and green, but because I am poor and would quite like to be able to reuse them and save some money. Who ever drank tea out of plastic beakers? That people would think that I was trying to poison them. That it was too hot. That the tea was the wrong strength. That the milk would go off – why the hell didn’t I buy a cool bag?


That no body would talk to me. That complete weirdos would talk to me that I wouldn't know how to get rid of because I would be having a hot cup of tea with them.


What the hell am I doing? What would my mother say about the danger? Tea? In a park with perfect strangers?


How would I explain that one to them? How do you start the conversation? What was the point in this again?


Before I knew it I was on the tube with… oh dear – a beautifully hand crafted sign that said “Would you like to have tea with me?” It is a question mark not an exclamation mark because it is more inviting. I had my hair styled so that I felt a bit more like a projected persona and less like myself.
Block colour for the dress Laura – that way nothing will detract from your sign and face. Smile don’t forget to smile. 
Try not to think too deeply you look intimidating when you are thinking. 
Oh no not a blue dress it is a cold colour you need to wear something warm and friendly. Yes, red is for danger, but it’s your best colour.


“What is that for?” The sign drew attention. Then people were listening to me – smiling, well out right laughing at me actually, but without an ounce of malice. “You should have brought cake”

Thank god I brought the biscuits. People on tubes don't have time for tea, but they do have time for biscuits.


In the park I was pleasantly surprised. People wanted to talk to me! Well… more men actually, but perhaps the women are harder to get:

“What a splendid idea to offer people tea. Try a flash thing; or a sponsored tea. I work for a charity, just did a sponsored walk. Do you need old people? Have you met many interesting people? I had a heart bypass in 2004 you know, they’ve just found out that it is leaking again. I really like the theatre – I saw Billy Elliot. That’s from near you innit? The North? Yeah I’d like to go see another show really but I might have to have another operation – its harder to get to London then… No – my Mum. She lives near me so I’d stop with her. I have my own flat – have done for years but spend every Christmas with my Mum… Black tea reminds me of work – any jasmine?... No, where we’re from you wouldn’t worry about poison we have strong stomachs but without the jasmine perhaps I’ll pass.”


The oddest thing was that people wanted to know more. Would I be here weekly? Was I doing any other events? Everyone sounded rather enthusiastic at the thought of having a massive tea party in the park with whole groups of stranger… people like interacting more than I thought. And in case you are thinking what I would be thinking if I read this; no body mentioned dating services once!

I have my first little bundle of email addresses to keep people updated on my progress and perhaps attend more events.


No comments: