Friday 12 October 2007

Surface
























Here are some photos of a performance that I was in last year. Please excuse the layout I wanted them as a slide show but don't know how to do it (yet!).
Anyway, this was a really important experience for me as it was one that made me rethink what type of work I wanted to produce.
Before I took part in this performance it had been years since I had done any straight acting, nevermind taken direction, or indeed participated in something that wasn't my work. I had strayed away from theatre (I had been on a stage since I was about 5!) and became obsessed with Live and Performance Art. Been part of a company again was really exciting. I engaged with contemporary theatre and realised that "Theatre" does not mean what the west end produces, or something that is easy to digest. There can be a plot, a narrative with strong characters, set and costume, and still hold all the edge and excitement that I found in Performance art.
This production made me remember what I loved about performing and creating art within this domain in the first place. I have now decided that I want to work in the binary between "Theatre" and "Performance Art".
The company who wrote and directed the performance of Surface are currently establishing themselves in Leicester (which is brilliant becasue there is a huge void where this type of work should be in the city). If you want to check out the website or read more about the production go to http://www.whiteroomtheatre.co.uk I played Amy



No comments: