Monday 22 October 2007

Presentation and Tube Theatre

After the presentations that we gave last week I felt pretty lost. I realized that I have no idea what I want to create or how to go about doing any kind of practical work...especially if I'm not working from performance theory (as you all know I have decided to give up on the theory for a while and see what happens to my work - gulp).

I feel a little like I have been de-centered and am actually really scared that I won't be able to create any practical work period! SO - I'm metaphorically getting back on the horse straight away before I realize that I am too scared to work at all. :o) I am therefore starting practical work straight away. My first idea is a performance that will take place on the tube. My ideas are still coming together, I am finding it challenging to say the least working in this new way.

I have all of these questions floating around my head like: why am I creating this? What am I trying to communicate? Who am I trying to communicate to? Have performances on the tube been over done?...and naturally I want to turn to my theory books to help me answer these burning questions! Although I know that all of these questions need addressing I have decided that I am creating the performance because I want to and will work out the specifics as the work progresses. This is a real backwards way of working for me and am looking forward to seeing what happens.

Anyway...the performance. I am currently trying to create a world on the tube of characters that have become stuck there, they have been riding the tube continually for years and years and are unable to get off. The performers will be covered in dust and have the same conversations over and over again whilst traveling up and down the Victoria line. I am looking into the documentation of this performance as an integral part of the work (as this is something that I really want to address).

I like the idea of having one of the performers having a hidden camera (actually that was Harriet's idea). I realllly want to invite people to come and see the performance and request that they record the performance in anyway that they wish and then pass the documentation on to me to compile. I realize that the logistics of this are problematic as any invited audience would have to find me! hmmmm

I'm currently trying to work out a script and the details but will let you know my progress.

Does anybody have any other thoughts or ideas on the documentation of this performance?

No comments: