Thursday 29 November 2007

Post-tutorial (you all know I love my 'posts'!)

So - had my tutorial with Geraint yesterday. Although it wasn't overly helpful in terms of my practical work (there been a distinct lack of my own practical work and all at the moment) talking to someone really helped me to pin point what it is that I am concerned with.

I have been skirting around issues of documentation, technology and embodiment all term.  I really think that what I'm concerned with is liveness and how time presents itself. I'm really interested in the temporality that is inherent in live performance, as well as its ephemeral nature. I think that I have been suspicious of media and technology because I see them not only as artificial but I haven't understood how they relate to the documentation of time and how that impacts on the body. They are kind of removed from how I see time, they are not happening in the here and now, they are presented in a medium that can be fixed and therefore doctored, this automatically makes me trust the content less (especially because I am the kind of person that will trust a visceral experience above anything else)

 Now I am beginning to see how examining the nature of media and technology in relation to time and the body can be investigated performatively...yeah, that's it really - I'm happy about that! Still learning how to use certain technologies but am beginning to plan a series of experiments for next term when we have more time!

*Yey*


No comments: